Wednesday, July 17, 2013

First Days in the MTC


So pretty much the first night you get here you are definately already teaching, but thank goodness it wasn't just in companionships. They put you in a big room full of other new missionaries and we all talk with/ teach an investigator. It was quite intimidating especially since some people seem so spiritually ahead than you. But that's alright because the Lord will give me strength and help my understanding to grow. Anyways, so you also have an instructor on the first night and man was ours mighty fine! He was from France so of course he had an accent and he was tall dark and handsome. Don't worry I promise I am focused on the work!

I also ran into Shalyse, Sister Scadlock litterally like 10 minutes after I walked into the MTC!! It was the best thing that could've happened to me that day! She is doing well and has given me all the secrets to this place! Later in the day I ran into some other people I know from school! It is amazing to see all these people I know accepting God's call to action!!

I can't believe that I have been here a week and since today is Wednesday, this will be the only p-day I have in the MTC. Kind of a bummer, but having all the other days to learn is pretty much fantastic because seriously there is so much to learn. I honestly would feel so unprepared if I hadn't read through most of Preach My Gospel before I came. Everything here is fast and furious. You barely have any time to study anything but the lessons that you feel your investigators need. So Preston, word of advice, start studying or at least reading through Preach My Gospel now. It will help you so much and you won't feel overwhelmed.

My companion is Sister Anderson! She is from Georgia and went to school at BYU last year. She is 19 just like me and she is pretty great! She is very intuned with the spirit and the needs of our investigators. We are also both headed to Reno!!! It is funny how in these circumstances you become friends with people you normally wouldn't in normal life. But she can kind of get on my nerves a little in all honesty. I think that is mostly because I am so used to doing things alone and not having to converse with someone about what I think or what I want to do. Which is probably a pretty good learning experience for me. I actually have to make decisions now!! I can't just be like eh, whatever you want to do is fine. I have to have an opinion about everything. Like what do you want to do during gym today. So weird.

The Elders and Sisters in my district have become like my little family here! Seriously they are the best! I have some pictures that I will try and send you when I am out in the field. (The computers here kind of stink). Sister Coy is 27 and she is the mom of the group since she's got a lot of life experience behind her! Elder Whipple and Bunch are probably my favorite elders. They are just so sweet and funny! It is funny how some elders and sisters don't talk to people of the opposite gender because they are afraid of flirting cause that is obviously a big no no here. I'm pretty sure all of us were kind of like that on our first day.

Earlier in this letter I said something about investigators... here our teachers during part of class time play the role of an investigator, and we have to do the whole shabang and knock on the door, let them invite us in, and teach!! It is crazy. The 2nd week here, you get an actor playing an investigator which is a lot easier to take more seriously than teaching your teacher. It is really nerve racking because everything should be done by the spirit and if you don't have the spirit with you, there is no way you are going to be able to help your investigators understand what your purpose there is.

I feel like I've learned a lot so far and I am already a different person. It is amazing what the Lord can do with those who just give their lives over to him!

Well I love you guys and miss ya tons!!!

Sister Fish

No comments:

Post a Comment